Owen Coyle further strengthened his squad today with the signing of England international Scott Carson from Turkish side Bursaspor. Get to know our new keeper with these ten quick facts:
1. Scott was born in Whitehaven on September 3 1985, the day after Latics were knocked out of the League Cup by Port Vale 2-0.
2. Wigan Athletic is the eighth club Carson has joined, having previously played for Leeds United, Liverpool, Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton Athletic, Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion and Bursaspor.
3. He has played against Latics on six occasions, winning twice and ending up on the losing side four times.
4. The 27-year-old began his career at non-league side Workington, where he was spotted by Leeds United scouts in 2002.
5. He made his professional debut just two years later, after rising through the club’s academy and reserve ranks, against Middlesbrough, going on to make his first start for the club two weeks later against Manchester United.
6. After a year-and-a-half at Elland Road, Carson was signed by Rafa Benitez at Liverpool, and helped the Reds en route to Champions League glory in 2005, by keeping goal against Juventus in the quarter final stage.
7. During his time at Anfield, Carson spent time on loan at three clubs; Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton Athletic and Aston Villa.
8. In 2008, Tony Mowbray signed the keeper for West Bromwich Albion, then in the Championship, who after suffering relegation with in his first season, helped win back promotion to the Premier League in the 2009/10 campaign.
9. Carson made his international debut in November 2007 against Austria in a friendly match, and in appearing against Germany a year later became West Brom’s first England international for 24 years. In total, he has earned four caps for the Three Lions.
10. After 110 league appearances for the Baggies, Carson joined Turkish side Bursaspor in 2011, winning the Turkish cup in his first season and making 63 appearances before arriving at the DW Stadium.