Skip to main content


14:07 31st March 2012


Moses and Alcaraz ensure back-to-back wins for Latics

Wigan Athletic 2
Alcaraz 54
Moses 90+2

Stoke City 0

Report by Nick Taylor

Latics got the DW Stadium rocking with a deserved and dominant victory over Stoke as Antolin Alcaraz put the home side ahead and Victor Moses showed gritty determination to finish off the visitors late on.

The victory is a huge lift for Latics and means the side are now unbeaten in four and have lost just once in seven games.

Roberto Martinez named an unchanged line-up from the 2-1 win last week over Liverpool at Anfield and after just minutes of the game it was evident why.

After just one minute Franco di Santo had put Jean Beausejour clean through down the left channel but, maybe it was a bit too early on in the game as the Chilean scuffed his cross behind for a goal kick.

Just three minutes later Ali Al Habsi pulled off a fantastic save from what was Stoke only real chance of the game.

The keeper stood firm to parry away a Ryan Shawcross header from a corner that was drilled to the front post.

Latics got back on top straight away and remained patient as they worked the ball out of defence to the attack.

Shaun Maloney was a constant threat throughout the game and he almost put Latics ahead on 15 minutes when he volleyed at goal from wide out on the six-yard box but, Asmir Begovic gathered easily.

The home side continued to frustrate their opponents and the bookings started to come out for Stoke.

Marc Wilson was the first on a yellow as he pulled Moses back by the shirt in the middle of the pitch.

More were to follow but, for now Latics just concentrated on trying to score.

Beausejour should have done so on 40 minutes when he got onto the end of a Moses cross.

The wing-back had just the goal to aim at as the cross deceived the goalkeeper but, he made minimal contact and the ball spun off a Stoke defender for a corner.

Straight after half time Latics had a genuine shout for a penalty when Dean Whitehead handled in the area but, referee Mark Clattenburg waved play on.

Latics didn't let it deter them as just 10 minutes later they went ahead in emphatic style.

Beausejour looped a cross right into the danger zone of the Stoke box and up rose Alcaraz who hammered his header past Begovic.

With the goal coming after just 55 minutes it had the feeling of a dominant win for Latics.

Martinez's men had Stoke chasing shadows and before the 75 minute mark the Potters had four players cautioned for blatant fouls.

On 81 minutes Jordi Gomez replaced Di Santo and added an even more attacking threat.

First he tackled consecutively in the midfield to disposses Stoke and then he found himself with just the keeper to beat as McArthur slotted him in on goal.

The Spaniard was denied by an the feet of Begovic but, he didn't let it put him off as he almost worked another chance from the corner with some nifty foot work.

As Latics looked to see out a 1-0 victory, Moses showed an immense show of stamina as he stole the ball off Andy Wilkinson at the half way line and began a mesmerising run.

The Nigerian winger just kept on going and despite an attempt to bring him down from Wilkinson, he rounded the keeper with ease and slotted home to get the DW crowd on their feet.

Latics were dominant in every area of the game and more goals would not have flattered them.

Wigan Athletic: Al Habsi, Alcaraz, McCarthy, Caldwell (c), Di Santo (Gomez 81), Maloney (Watson 69), Moses, McArthur, Boyce, Beausejour (Sammon 86), Figueroa.
Unused Subs: Kirland, Crusat, Jones, Stam.

Stoke City:
Begovic, Huth, Wilson, Pennant (Palacios 65), Shawcross (c), Whitehead, Walters (Fuller 65), Crouch, Etherington (Jerome 48), Whelan, Wilkinson.
Unused Subs: Sorensen, Jones, Upson, Shotton

    Data provided by Press Association