Skip to main content


14:17 24th March 2012


Captain Caldwell nets winner as determined Latics take all three points

Liverpool 1

Suarez 47

Wigan Athletic 2

Maloney 30
Caldwell 63

Report by Nick Taylor

Wigan Athletic battled on as only they can do in fantastic fashion as a penalty from Shaun Maloney and a goal from Gary Caldwell caused heartache for Liverpool.

Latics took the lead after half an hour when Victor Moses took a boot to the face from Martin Skrtel only for Maloney to do the honours from the spot. Liverpool equalised through Luis Suarez but, the away side continued to fight for victory as Caldwell got the winner on 63 minutes.

Manager Roberto Martinez stuck by his instincts and named an unchange side from the 1-1 draw with West Browich Albion last week in which his side dominated.

There was no better day for a victory for Latics as results around them went the right way.

The weather was just as good and set up a perfect afternoon for Barclays Premier League action.

Latics started brightly down the wings with Moses and Jean Beausejour beating the Liverpool full backs but, not quite finding the end product.

The first real chance for the away side came after just 11 minutes when the afore mentioned Moses used his pace and power down the right side but, he failed to lift his head up when Maloney found space in the box and decided to shoot, it came to nothing as Skrtel blocked.

Liverpool had their moments aswell before Latics went ahead when, Stewart Downing hit a left foot half volley just wide of Ali Al Habsi's left hand post.

On 27 minutes Latics had the ball bouncing in the Liverpool penalty area.

All it needed was for someone to either clear or score but, to the shock of the home fans, Skrtel raised his boot as Moses went to head the ball and referee Lee Mason pointed to the spot.

Moses received prolonged treatment to his face and looked unsettled despite trying to play on for around 10 minutes before eventually being replaced by Albert Crusat.

After half time, Liverpool looked focussed on getting back level and did just that.

Two minutes of the second half went by and Luis Suarez had the ball in the back of the net for 1-1.

Steven Gerrard found space out wide on the right and crossed low for Suarez to slide the ball into the bottom corner.

At that moment the fear was there that Latics could collapse but, it turned out to be exactly the opposite as Martinez's men battled to retain possession in long spells.

Liverpool did have the ball in the back of the net though and Anfield erupted, only for referee Mason to rule it out as he judged Suarez to have used his hand to score from a back post header by Skrtel across goal.

It gave Latics the impetous to win the game and on 63 minutes they did just that.

James McCarthy took a pot shot from the edge of the area only for the ball to bounce off a Liverpool defender and bizarrely into the path of Caldwell who shifted the ball out of his feet and beyond Pepe Reina for 2-1.

Latics held in for the rest of the game and could have even made it 3-1 when substitute Conor Sammon battled against the defence to allow his fellow sub Ben Watson to shoot, luckily for Liverpool it was blocked.

The victory for Latics is crucial and a huge result away from home as the defence remained solid to keep out the Reds.

Liverpool: Reina, Flanagan,Carragher, Skrtel, Enrique, Gerrard, Spearing, Henderson (Carroll 45), Downing (Shelvey 73), Suarez, Kuyt (Sterling 84)
Unused subs: Doni, Coates, Aurelio, Eccleston

Wigan Athletic: Al Habsi, Boyce, Alcaraz, Caldwell, Figueroa, Beausejour (Watson 62), McArthur, McCarthy, Maloney, Moses (Crusat 42), Di Santo (Sammon 81)
Unused subs: Kirkland,Stam, Thomas, Gomez
    Data provided by Press Association