Skip to main content


14:50 23rd January 2010


Scotland and Watson goals force FA Cup tie to replay

Notts County . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
Hughes 26, Davies 40

Wigan Athletic . . . . . . . . . . 2
Scotland 52, Watson 83

A spirited second-half fight-back from Latics kept their FA Cup hopes alive, coming from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 and take the tie against Notts County to a replay.

Jason Scotland's first Wigan Athletic goal fired Wigan Athletic back into the game on shortly after the re-start, running onto a lovely through-ball from Hugo Rodallega to fizz a left-footer under the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

That changed the complexion of the game altogether, and suddenly it was Roberto Martinez's men who were in control.

The introduction of Charles N'Zogbia and Ben Watson mid-way through the half gave the away side the shot in the arm they needed, and seven minutes before the end they combined to send the travelling supporters wild.

Floating in a lovely corner from the right N'Zogbia found Captain Titus Bramble at the back post who cut back for Watson to head home the equaliser.

Having tried time and time again to find the break-through Latics had finally cracked the County defence, but at one point it seemed the tie was slipping.

The first-half had ended with the home side well on top, 2-0 up and dreaming of the Fifth Round.

Lee Hughes had opened the scoring 26 minutes in, shrugging off Antonio Amaya and slotting home with his left-foot.

Ben Davies then doubled the home side's lead five minutes before the break. Bramble brought down Hughes 30-yards out, and Davies dispatched the free-kick superbly into the bottom left-hand corner.

Latics simply couldn't get out of first-gear or their own half and to describe the performance as uncharacteristic would be an understatement.

But whatever was said at half-time worked and the team looked back to their best in the second 45 minutes.

Vladimir Stojkovic's debut was eventful, and although the Serbian international had to pick the ball out of the net twice, he did make some acrobatic and game-saving saves towards the end to keep the tie alive.

Steve Gohouri also got the nod to make his first Wigan Athletic appearance in the second-half and he did well, battling hard with Hughes at the back and showing blistering pace going forward.

But the day belonged to Watson and Scotland who made sure Latics get another crack at progressing into the next round.

The replay will be played on Tuesday 2nd February.

Notts County: Schmeichel, Lee, Thompson, Ravenhill (Rodgers 67'), Hughes, Bishop, Davies, Clapham, Hunt, Westcarr, Jackson.
Subs: Hoult, Edwards, Hamshaw, Hawley, Fairclough, Rodgers, Akinbiyi.

Wigan: Stojkovic, Boyce, Amaya (Gohouri 45'), Bramble (Captain), Figueroa, Diame, McCarthy, Rodallega, Gomez (Watson 70'), Sinclair (N'Zogbia 70'), Scotland.
Subs: Pollitt, Caldwell, Cywka, McManaman

Match Officials

Referee: Mark Clattenburg (replaces Michael Oliver)
Assistants: Mark Scholes & Martin Yerby
4th Official: Darren Sheldrake

Att 9,073, (Wigan 1,327)

    Data provided by Press Association