12:32 15 February 2012
By Latics Staff
Improving the health and well-being of the Wigan Community through football activities.“The brand of Wigan Athletic and the Community Trust as an outreach organisation are uniquely position to support men’s health in the borough,” Progress Health Partnerships, Independent Evaluation of the Wigan Fit Fans project.
Wigan faces some of the biggest health challenges in the country and Wigan Athletic Community Trust is attempting to tackle some of these issues through its Wigan Fit Fans scheme.
The 12 week programme gives men over the age of 25 the opportunity to take part in free weekly football and sports sessions and receive simple advice on how to lead a healthier life.
Working alongside an NHS Health Trainers Community Trust staff provide one to one support and encouragement to participants to help them achieve their own lifestyle goals.
- 160 men registered for the scheme
- 150 players took part in the Wigan Masters Over 25 Football Tournament
- 48% of men were between the ages of 35 and 45
- 89% of participants finished the full 12 week
- 93% of participants continued to take part in physical activity beyond the 12 week programme
- 65% of participants lost weight
For more information about the Fit Fans programme or other health initiatives please contact Men’s Health Co-ordinator Chris Baxter on 01942 488 530 or e-mail email@example.com