12:32 15 February 2012
By Latics Staff
About the Community Trust
The Wigan Athletic Community Trust is a registered charity that employs 18 full time members of staff who each year work with over 9,500 people.
Working across four areas: Football and Sport, Community Cohesion, Education and Health, the Latics in the Community team is based at the Montrose Skills Hub on Montrose Avenue opposite the DW Stadium.
The facility has a range of classrooms and an indoor sports hall that the Community Trust is able to use for its sporting and educational projects. For more information about the Montrose Skills Hub please click here:
In organising its community projects the Community Trust aims to:
- Increase opportunities for young people and families to be involved with Wigan Athletic FC – from playing and coaching to watching and supporting.
- Raise the aspirations of young people through football and education
- Provide meaningful sports opportunities for young people to enhance their communities
- Improve the health and well-being of the Wigan Community through football activities
- Be a sustainable and well-managed forward thinking organisation.
The work of the Latics in the Community team is supported by members of the first team squad who made over 500 appearances at community events during the 2011/2012 season.